CSAIR Milestones 1954-Present
 
Synagogue Milestones
 
1954
The Conservative Synagogue of Riverdale founded.  Its first home: 120-year-old, ex-dormitory of the Horace Mann School. The Hebrew School starts with 34 students. Max Kadushin, first Rabbi; Nathaniel Entin, first Cantor; Oscar Dane, first President. First Shabbat service, September 11th, despite Hurricane Edna.
 
1958
David Wolf Silverman, Rabbi; Elliot Levine, Cantor.  Groundbreaking for new school building.
 
1959
Herbert Harris, Cantor.
 
1960
School building completed.
 
1961
Morning minyan begins.
 
1962
New Sanctuary consecrated.
 
1963
Chaim Pearl, Rabbi; Henry Fried, Cantor. First dinner dance honors Jack L. Ross.
 
1964 
Joseph Nurnberg, President.
 
1966 
Jacob Mendelsohn, Cantor.  Hebrew School accredited by the Metropolitan Council of the United Synagogue of America, in cooperation with the Jewish Education Committee of New York.
 
1969
Rabbi Pearl convenes Interfaith Clergy Conference of Kingsbridge-Riverdale-Marble Hill area. Saul Salzberg, President.
 
1970
Herbert Taub, President, initiates drive retiring Synagogue’s outstanding $100,000 bank loan by the sale of bonds to Synagogue members.
 
1972
Elihu Feldman, Cantor.
 
1973
The Bet Hamidrash refurbished with funds collected for the Isidor Stern Memorial Fund. Congregation merges with Congregation Adath Israel, one of New York City’s great Conservative institutions founded in the nineteenth century.
 
1974
Rabbi Pearl takes Sabbatical; Richard Hammerman, Interim Rabbi.
 
1976
Charles Korn, Cantor.
 
1977
Torah scroll saved from the Nazi destruction in Czechoslovakia is placed in Sanctuary during Yom Kippur ceremony.  Stanley Stern, President.
 
1978
Ralph Schlossberg, Cantor, founds “Young Voices of the Conservative Synagogue.”
 
1979
Michael Rhodes, President; Gordon Piltch, Cantor. Christ Church joins CSAIR members in memorial service on Yom Hashoah. Installation of wall pieces representing the 12 tribes of Israel made by members of the Sisterhood.
 
1980
Shlomo Balter, Rabbi.
 
1981
Martin Wolpoff, President. Young Children’s Family Program launched.
 
1983
Junior-Junior Congregation begins semi-monthly Shabbat services for young children.
 
1984
The Havurah commences its semi-monthly services.
 
1985
Walter Tolub, President.
 
1988
Small social hall refurbished and dedicated as the Esther Taub Hall.
 
1989
Sam Sobel, President.
 
1990
Tree of Life is installed in main lobby. New parochet, shulchan and aron dedicated by Havurah for the Esther Taub Hall. Sisterhood Judaica Gift Shop opens.
 
1992
Charles Weintraub, President.
 
1996
First Sisterhood Adult Bat Mitzvah Class.
 
1997
Bruce Hack, President.
 
1998
Barry Dov Katz, Rabbi. Riverdale Jewish Community Learning launched by Rabbi Katz and community rabbis.
 
1999
First annual Torathon. Perek Yomi begins – two and one-half year cycle of study.
 
2001
Rebecca Jacobs, President. Joel Pitkowsky, Assistant Rabbi and Hebrew School Principal. 
“Building Bridges” – first annual synagogue wide retreat.
 
2002
Begin using Etz Hayim Humash. First siyyum (completion) of study of entire Bible by Perek  Yomi group.  Mishnah Yomit begins multi-year cycle of Mishnah study. Dvash program for young children on Shabbat. Millie Silfen Memorial Museum Cabinet installation.
 
2003
Susan Schwartz, President. Fred Marcus Haftorah Scroll dedicated. Second Adult Bat Mitzvah Class. Mason Voit, Director of Education and Jewish Family Life
 
2004
CSAIR 50th Anniversary 1954-2004. Capital and Endowment Campaign Commences.
 
2005
Sanctuary and building remodeling and renovations begun.
 
2006
First Meah class begins two year study program. Homeland Security grant awarded for improvements to building security systems.
 
2007
Stuart Newman, President. Sanctuary and building renovations completed.
 
2008
New Parochet dedicated by the Moerdler Family installed in Main Sanctuary. Legacy Heritage grant awarded for MyDrash Program.
 
2009
Elizabeth Stevens, Cantor.  CSAIR begins sustainability initiative; first Conservative synagogue accepted to the Greenfaith Certification Program
 
2010
Third adult bat mitzvah class.
 
2011
Cliff Nerwen, President. Rabbi Katz and Shoshi Talesnick honored at Spring Gala.
 
2013
CSAIR begins using new Mahzor Lev Shalem at High Holidays.
 
2014
CSAIR kicks off "A Place to Grow" Capital Campaign with the goal of modernizing the shul and making it a true 21st century accessible shul. CSAIR celebrates 60th anniversary. 
 
2015
Abby Pitkowsky, President.  Construction/renovations begin.
 
2016
UJA Inclusion Grant Recipient .
The dedication and refurbishment of our Beit HaMidrash and the Bette and Phil Baum Library.
Administrative Login   Play Ads Full Screen With Controls
Powered by Wizadjournal - Developed by PBCS Technology
Servers: web1 mysql3 Event: 1220